Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

New exemptions to Canadian Travel Ban-UPDATE

UPDATE On March 26 IRCC updated the new measures on their website.


In addition on the earlier announced exemptions on the travel restrictions, IRCC announced today, March 20, 2020 the following exemptions:

  • seasonal agricultural workers, fish/seafood workers, caregivers and all other temporary foreign workers
  • International students who hold a valid study permit, or had been approved for a study permit, when the travel restrictions took effect on March 18, 2020
  • permanent resident applicants who had been approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but who had not yet travelled to Canada

This and more measures were announced today. The complete and up-to-date information can be found on the  IRCC website.

Coronavirus special measures-UPDATED

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has put special measures in place to help you if you are affected by travel bans or disruptions in services due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). For the exact measures and update visit the website of IRCC. 

IRCC is working on solutions and will provide more details on their website. Given the reduced capacity, IRCC prioritizes to keep Canadians safe and healthy and get Canadians back into the country. We also see that most services have been reduced to email and online contact.

CBSA/POE made also changes in its services. They do not longer process work permit or study permit applications. They still print study permits and work permits when these are approved. Meaning that when you are already in Canada you can still go to the border with your approval letter. But you cannot flagpole to get a new work permit. You should apply online! You might want to apply at least 3 months before the expiration of your current permit to keep your provincial health program coverage.

When you are outside Canada and you have a work permit or study permit approval letter you cannot travel to Canada under the current travels ban unless you fall under one the exemptions.

Also when you are already a worker or student and currently outside Canada, you also cannot travel to Canada unless you fall under one of the exemptions.

ESDC- Service Canada is still working on LMIA’s but slower.

PNP’s- are also still operating but face-to-face contacts are suspended. There are no deadline extensions currently. So if you think of applying make sure that you have all the documentation ready.