Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

Official opening of The College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants

On November 23, 2021, the Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, marked the official opening of the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants. The College is now the official regulator of immigration and citizenship consultants across the country and replaces the previous regulator, the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council. With the change, new, higher standards for consultants have been introduced.

Licensed Immigration Consultants
In Canada, the only immigration consultants who can give you Canadian immigration advice in exchange for a fee or benefit are licensed immigration consultants (people licensed by the College). To check if your immigration consultant is licensed by the College, search for them in the Public Register.

Unauthorized practitioners
Should you be aware of an unauthorized practitioner, you can inform the College and they will take steps to ensure they are not practicing without authorization. Click here for our Unauthorized Practitioner form.

Student recruiters, labour recruiters, and travel agents
Some people may try to offer you immigration services as part of the other services they provide, such as:

For example, a travel agent may offer to help you with a visitor visa. A labour recruiter might offer to put together your work permit. Or a student agent or recruiter might say they will submit your student permit application with your school application.

In most cases, these people are not authorized to provide you with immigration services (they can do so only if they are also a Canadian lawyer, a Notaire du Québec, or a licensee of the College).

If the person you are working with says they are partnering with an RCIC or a RISIA, double-check by directly asking that RCIC or RISIA (use the contact information on our Public Register). Also, make sure you sign a retainer agreement directly with the RCIC. Also do not pay for services from an immigration consultant until:

You have verified that your consultant is licensed with the College.
You have communicated with the consultant using the contact information listed on our Public Register.
You have signed a Retainer Agreement or service agreement.

More information about the new College you find on the website